Wednesday, April 8, 2020

NaPo’ 20 - Day 7 - News Article

RESPONSE TO HOW LUCKY ONES LIVE DURING A PANDEMIC


I have almost the same routine. I wake up at 6:45. 
My cat bells as I stretch. Reminds me who's
captain. Whose breakfast comes first.


He is unaware that I fast. Or that I love you, little train 
wreck passes through surgical mask, before 
rounding his perked white ears.


I get to work. Sip coffee. Check emails. Listen to the halls 
thrum hormonally. Maybe I teach first period. 
Maybe I don't.


I live in Taiwan, but I'm American. No lockdown. Store shelves 
plentiful. One of several outliers safe from the madness. 
I contemplate humanity.


The blue-collar fishbowl I grew up in. I have no desire for Netflix
or sourdough. I yearn for exactly this. Now tell me.
Who wouldn’t. 


Who wouldn’t consider tossing a name tag, issued by a coterie 
of suit ties, that never intended on reading it
to begin with?











No comments:

Post a Comment